Saturday, May 1, 2010

Smelly-grassy love

Newton has these strange little habits with smells and grass.  He "skritches" the grass behind him after he does his business scratching quite proudly and pompously. The first time I saw him doing this I laughed at him!  I really haven't researched what this behavior is but what I have deduced from this is it probably has something to do with the smell.  Maybe it's his way of spreading his scent around in his territory like a "Yeah, I ripped that one!"


The other habit is at the dog parks, or anywhere there is grass, he rubs himself on the grass - similar to what a cat does when rubbing and purring while brushing against your leg.  From what I've "researched" on the internet, it's an old ancestral wolf habit hiding their scent from their prey.  It looks like Newton enjoys it so much.  I want to stop him from this strange habit but it's a hilarious cutesy thing to watch.  The downside to this of course is he gets dirty, he stinks and grass gets stuck in his fur.  To each their own I suppose especially Newton!

No comments:

Post a Comment