Thursday, September 8, 2011

Newton's treats!

The other day I noticed Newton's treat jar running out of liver treats.  He loves, loves, loves liver treats.  We sprinkle it on his food and use it as training treats, it's like crack for dogs.  The only problem is the price.  Come on, I know the price of beef or chicken livers at the local grocery store is a fraction of the cost and freeze drying isn't some advanced technique.  Shelling out $25 for treats is quite a bit of money, basically the cost of half a bag of his dog food. 

Anyway, I decided to do something about it.  I made Newton some chicken liver carrot brownies and played around with some chicken hot dogs all thanks to a little googling and dogaware.com.

Ingredients in the brownies:  whole wheat flour, corn meal, chicken livers, shredded carrots,little bit of salt, little bit of garlic powder and a bit of coriander.  I plan on tweaking the ingredients next time I make them.

Here's the chicken liver brownies before they went into the oven.  Yah, I know it's an ugly mess!  I must buy cookie cutters for future batches.

Boiling the chicken hot dogs to drive out the salt and then microwaving them make for an inexpensive and delicious training treat!  I spent less than $2 for a pack of hot dogs!
Teasing Newton with a chicken hot dog.

Chicken liver brownie after baking.

Newton and his chicken liver brownie.  Look at him focusing on that brownie with a "wave" included.


No comments:

Post a Comment